Monday, April 27, 2015

Ask A Stage Goddess - How Do I Work This Vision Board?



If you’ve been following me for a while, you may have noticed that I believe in the power of the vision board. I’ve been using this tool for many years since I first heard about them in a book called Creative Visualization. Back then they were called Treasure Maps. You can create a vision board at any time but I particularly find them valuable for setting goals for a new year. Here’s my advice to someone who wrote to me in Jan. 2010. I’ve made a few slight adjustments in my answer to bring it up to date.

Dear Stage Goddess,
OK, so I've made my list of things I want to accomplish this year and created my vision board, but it seems so overwhelming.  How am I gonna do all this?
~ HELP!

Dear Help,
Congratulations on creating your road map for the new year.  When you look at your vision board you are looking at your destinations.  Now it's time to plan your trip and that can only happen one mile, one step at a time. 
Pick one "destination" and break it up into smaller parts.  Work at it little by little until it's done.  Then move on to the next.  I wouldn't try to tackle all of your goals at the same time. Also, life happens and you must take time to relax and enjoy the ride.  So what if you don't accomplish all of your goals this year?  You may decide to move a goal forward to next year or remove it altogether. You are the designer of your life.
For example, I can't tell you how long I had been working on my website. First I had to do research to see what kind of site I wanted, then I had to get all of the components to my web designer, Barb Gottlieb of Gottgraphix. That took awhile but once it became a priority and we gave ourselves a deadline, we made it happen.
The result is at www.carleaseburke.com. Check it out I think you'll like it.

 
Have fun on your journey.

2 comments:

  1. I am a visual person. Hence, vision boards have always seemed to work well for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting use of concept mapping for goal setting.

    ReplyDelete